“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do.”
— Edward Everett Hale
The comfort of knowing that your little gesture touched someone’s life is invaluable – like that dinner at Olive Garden that you skip can actually feed a child somewhere for one entire month, provide drinking water to a community, or support a child’s education for almost one year.
- 10,000 children die every single day from totally preventable causes
- There are about 2 million child commercial sex workers between the age of 5 and 15 years
- One in every ten children is disabled
- 17 million children work as laborers… and the list goes on.
Note that this is not just the children in India who need help. Even in a developed country like the US, children are suffering. There are two major issues faced by the children in the US — Health and Abuse & Neglect.
- In 2006, 905,000 children were maltreated/neglected/abused
- 6.9 million children (10%) had no health insurance coverage
- 13% of these children have families with incomes less than $20,000/year
Here are some shocking statistics:
For millions, life is deprived of simple joys; like a fresh meal, clean drinking water, home, school, health; all in all they don’t get a chance to live a normal childhood. If you have an internet connection and are reading this in your free time, YOU ARE BLESSED! Thank god for everything you have in your life and extend a hand to help out the less fortunate.
What am I doing to help? I am working with CRY America to start an action center in Oklahoma. As Oklahoma Action Center (OKAC) leader, I need YOUR support! There are two types of positions open at OKAC:
1. OKAC Core Team Member:
This position requires your commitment and time. Core team members will be responsible for:
- Planning and organizing fund-raising events
- Spreading awareness about CRY America’s cause
- Recruiting OKAC volunteers for each event
- Reaching out to people to get more social involvement and presence
- Attending OKAC meetings
2. OKAC Volunteer
This position gives you more flexibility in the amount of time and skills you want to invest into OKAC activities. These positions open on event-basis and will be posted as they become available.
If you are interested to be contacted for the upcoming OKAC events, please send me an e-mail at email@example.com with the following details:
- Position interested in (OKAC Core Team or OKAC Volunteer)
- Availability (How many hours would you like to devote volunteering?)
- Best way to contact you –